We all know that being a mother is a full time job. Let alone being a mother with a full time job, with working hours, deadlines, targets and all. Working mothers are juggling between their career and their children but always forget themselves. To all working mothers out there, take care of your health for neither your career nor your children can make it without you.
You are what you eat
In order to maintain your stamina to keep up with both your career and your children you need to include a number of items in your daily food intake.
The rule says that home cooked food is always healthier and cheaper since you control the ingredients. While you are at the supermarket, buy a medium sized lunchbox, preferably a divided one and make sure it doesn’t leak.
In the lunchbox put the following in each side:
- A handful of nuts (any kind but preferably almonds) or an energy granola bar
- Any kind of fruit (an apple, an orange, some strawberries or berries)
- Greens (a salad or a raw cucumber, tomato, carrot)
- A slice of protein or a light sandwich with grainy bread (brown bread)
*You can mix the last two options in one by making a salad that also has chicken or fish in the ingredients
Here’s a very quick chicken salad recipe that can be prepared in 5 minutes
- ½ cup sweet corn
- ½ cup black or red beans (according to your preference)
- ½ cup diced or cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced red onions (according to your preference)
- 1 chopped avocado
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup of shredded grilled chicken
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano or 2 tablespoons dried oregano
Mix all ingredients in a bowl without adding the dressing and cover it. Serve some in the bigger side of the lunchbox, shake dressing well and add according to your preference.
You can serve yourself someone the next day until both the dressing and the salad are finished. You can also wrap some of the salad in a whole-wheat wrap and eat it as a sandwich.