We spoke with Sara Safwat from The Curly Studio, the first hair salon in Cairo dedicated to curly hair, to learn more about how to tame, manage and style those curly tresses! 13 Curly Hair Tips Tricks & Hacks
- Do not hold on to thin damaged ends for the sake of length! Get a trim every 8-10 weeks for maximum benefit.
- Have a regular routine for washing and conditioning your hair to prevent dryness and breakage of your curls.
- Do not buy or use any products without checking if it suits your hair porosity.
- Deep condition once a week to avoid dryness and frizz in summer.
- Do not wash your hair with shampoo every time! ‘Cowash’ instead (wash only with conditioner).
- Squeeze the excess water after you shower with a cotton t-shirt or a microfiber towel cotton towel. A cotton towel will suck the moisture out of your hair and create frizz.
- Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase to keep your curls moisturized and to avoid frizz and breakage.
- When detangling, use fingers or a wide-toothed comb instead of a brush to preserve the shape of your curls.
- If you want more volume, flip your head and blow dry using a diffuser on a warm setting.
- Apply an oil or hair serum for protection from the sun, sea salt and chlorine.
- Examine product ingredients before buying any hair product as it might contain bad ingredients that can affect your curls. Watch out in particular for silicone, sulfates, and paraffin.
- Put your hair up using the ‘pineapple method’ before sleeping. This a loose, high ponytail on top of your head that prevents frizz, knots and flattened curls while lying on a pillow.
- When applying an oil bath for thicker and longer hair, always apply the oil only on your scalp to avoid making your hair dry and darker.
Egypt produces some good affordable curl-friendly products like Bubblz sulfate-free herbal shampoo, Just Pure flaxseed gel, Imtenan and Nefertari oils and The Hair Addict growth treatment.
Address: 17 El Gazaier St – Mohandesin
Tel: 0110 084 8484 13 Curly Hair Tips Tricks & Hacks