Ever heard from Zimtsterne cookies?! There’s no better way to kick off the holiday season than with a festive gathering and these delicious cinnamon based Christmas treats! Plan your holiday meal with this no-fail cookie recipe that is sure to impress.
3 cups of icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
400 g ground almonds
Baking paper or parchment paper
- Separate egg yolks from whites and beat whites until they become creamy and foamy.
- Slowly sift in the sugar and lemon juice, then beat some more for about 8 minutes.
- Set aside 4 tablespoons of the meringue – this will be used to top the cookies later on.
- Add ground almonds and cinnamon to the remaining meringue and mix well.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in the fridge for about an hour.
- After an hour, fetch the dough from the fridge and preheat the oven at 160C/320°F.
- Sprinkle a surface with confectioners’ or regular white sugar and roll the dough to approximately 5 mm.
- Cut the stars with a star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Put the stars on the lined baking sheet.
- Stir the meringue you had set aside earlier a bit so it becomes a smooth mix. You also might want to add some more lemon juice. It’s a matter of taste.
- Now brush the cookies with the topping and bake them for about 8 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheet.
Store in an airtight tin. The cookies should keep for about two weeks.